Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tips On Tuesdays - Why We Shouldn't Use Washroom Hand Dryers

You hear so many different things, and you wonder sometimes if they're true or not.  Well, I thought I would pass this information along, and you can decide for yourself.  I suppose it could be feasible, if you think about it.  If someone is coughing or sneezing in the washroom, these airborne germs can get sucked into and then blown back out of these hand dryers, maybe????  This is copied from an email I got on the subject....

DON'T KNOW HOW TRUE, BUT A THOUGHT


I thought that this was very interesting information. It came to me from someone who works in sales & distribution of cleaning & maintainence products for large industries.
________________________________

Everyone in the cleaning industry has always been told that hand dryers in restrooms are not sanitary, they spread germs and bacteria around. I always thought that this just came from the paper companies because they are loosing sales to the hand dryers.

A couple of years ago, I was working with a rep, and I noticed that after he washed his hands and noticed that there were no paper towels, only a hand dryer, he left the restroom with wet hands. I asked him about it. He said that hand dryers blow a lot of germs and bacteria around. He also told me to take a look under the hand dryer next time I was in a restroom. There is a filter underneath the hand dryer that is supposed to be cleaned on a weekly basis. I looked at one and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. It had layers and layers of caked on gunk (disgusting).  Since then I will not use hand dryers in restrooms.

Now this is where the story gets really interesting. The schools and universities that have had the H1N1 (swine flu) outbreak this year are being told by the health department that they have to take out all of
their hand dryers and replace them with towel dispensers because the hand dryers are spreading disease.

Please pass this along so everyone knows not to use hand dryers.

No comments: