Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Old Love Letters - Chap. 3

July 11, 1945

Dearest Marge,

I hope you don't mind me writing to you so much, but since I've met you I can't seem to think of anything else, so I'm hoping I don't bore you. 
Yesterday I went up for a physical exam to see if I was fit to fly again and passed with a good margin, so today I'm starting to take a refresher course in Gunnery and will be going to school for a couple of weeks.  So I'm writing this in the classroom, for the stuff we're getting today is all about how to care for our guns.  Being used to caring for them, I'm not studying very hard, so I have plenty of time.
We went up for awhile this morning and it was my first flight in a B-29, so I really looked the ship over and learned a lot.  Tomorrow we're to make an altitude test flight to see how far up we can stand to go without oxygen, then test our reflex actions against a simulated attack.  So it's just like training all over again, only what I learn here I will pass on and teach to the kids that are really going.  It's lots of fun to be going through it all again and when I feel the kick of the 50's it makes me think of the days when we played for keeps.  Although we know this is just practice, it sure looks like the real thing.
I wish you could be here and see some of the wonderful ships (aircraft) we have.  The one I am assigned to is a new one just from the factory with all of the latest features and it flies like a dream.  They have a new system of training now that is really good.  They have P-47's to use to "attack" us and we fire on them with frangible ammunition that flies apart on contact and is harmless against armour plate.  Each hit is registered in the cockpit of the 47 so that we may know just how many hits are made with so many rounds spent.  It's so much like actual combat that sometimes it looks as though it were.  But I don't suppose you're very interested in all of this, and if I do bore you, just tell me to quit writing and  I will.  But I like to think that you are interested and will let me keep writing even though my letters are dull.
I would like to hear from you as often as you can write and will promise to answer every one.  I will never forget those two glorious days we had together and have hopes of seeing you again some day.
Mother wrote to say that Brother Donnie was improving and that Brother Louie had gone back to the ranch and that everything was fine at home and that she was expecting me home for Thanksgiving.  I only hope that I can make it.
So Darling, I will close now and will hope to hear from you soon.  I hope your sunburn is all right now.  Please write soon, for I really want to hear from you.

With love,
Tom


July 12, 1945

Hi Darling,

It's been a pretty rugged day so far, as we went up this morning at 5a.m. and flew till 11a.m. and sure got up high, but this afternoon we're sitting here in the classroom sweltering in the heat and trying to soak up a little knowledge.  But that's kind of hard for I'm sleepy after getting up at 3a.m. this morning.  I guess that I'm going to make the grade though, for tomorrow I'm to take my exams, so keep your fingers crossed for me.  I'm still a little dizzy from going up so high this morning, so if you can read this, you're doing good.
It's started to rain so it's a little cooler now, but has sure been hot.  How's your sunburn?  I hope it's better now. 
Oh yes honey, I sent your wings and I do hope you like them.  They are smaller than mine but are exactly like them every other way.  You know you promised to wear them, so I hope you do, and when I see you again, I would like to give you something more than just a pair of wings.  Would you mind?  Do you know that I keep thinking of you all of the time and I can't keep my mind on my studies, for your face comes between me and my books, and I find myself daydreaming, and although it's very nice, I do have to study some.  Honey, you probably think that I'm "ticked in the haid" (I'm not sure if I could make out his handwriting on this or have the words right but it appears he's trying to say something like he's crazy.  He continues....), but I can't get you off my mind, and I'm not sure that I want to at all.  I just keep remembering that day in the park when we sat there on the grass and talked, and you were so nice and let me ramble on and on.  But maybe it was just a nice dream after all.  Was it?  I'll just keep on dreaming anyway if you don't mind, for you're the first really nice thing that has happened to me for a long time.
Of course, you can tell me to quit writing to you, but you can't take back the nice things you did to me and I will always remember them and you.  So I hope you don't mind too much, for I really want to hear from you.  You will write, won't you?
I will say good night now and will keep looking for a letter from you and hope it has a picture of you in it.

(Then he signs off in Spanish.  I will try to copy and type it, but I'm still getting used to his penmanship.)

Hasta Linguia La Monana
Querido Mio  (?)

Love,
Tom

(So he's sent letters to my Mom on July 7,8,9,11 & the 12th so far and it appears she hasn't written him back yet....but there's more to come!  Stay tuned!)

No comments: